In this article you can find some great and easily accessible beach that you can visit on Crete. Please make sure you will travel as much as you can!
- The tropical Elafonissi beach is located in Western Crete. It is the second largest beach in western Crete and it’s famous for its pink sand and tropical waters. It is an organized beach with sunbeds and umbrellas to rent.
- Glika Nera is a beautiful beach located on the south coast of Crete. This beach is for people who seek adventure as it only accessible on foot through a 30minute hiking trail from Sfakia, or by boat. It is named after its sweet water sources. You will enjoy the pebbly beach and the deep blue waters.
- Stavros beach is well known for the epic scene of Antony Queen dancing on the beach for the ‘Zorrbas the Greek” film.it is located on the north coast of Akrotiri Peninsula near Chania. It is a sandy beach in a round bay through which a river flows with a steep bare mountain on one side. Also, there are minoan remains and a cave to explore.
- Seitan Limania is an S-shaped beach, which is 22km away from Chania. The road to the parking lot is quite good but the descent to the beach requires some climbing. Bring your own food as there are no facilities.
- Aspri Limni, or White Lake, is one of the most extraordinary beaches in Crete. Not many people know this beach, which has fine white sand and it resembles a small whitish lake in the sea. This small secret gem is located 500m west of Chrisoskalitissa Monastery and 70 km southwest from Chania. There are palm trees at the beach but no other amenities such as bars or tavernas. It is easily reached by car and there is a big parking area.
- Preveli Beach, also known as Palm Beach, is located on the south coast of Rethimno Province. It is a paradise location due to its palm tree forest which begins in Kourtaliotiko Gorge and ends into the sea. You can drive there by car through Kerames village and to the parking lot. A small 10minte climb, and you are there. A must visit when in Rethimnon.
- Triopetra is a paradise, which only local people know about, and is located between Preveli and Agia Galini. The long sandy beach, the three big rocks (this is where the word Triopetra comes from) and the crystal clear waters provide you with the perfect place to relax.
- Matala is a unique beach side resort at the south part of Heraklion Province. It was a very popular place in the seventies as it was the meeting place for hippies around the world. Until today the village holds this hippy characteristic and there is this big hippy event held there every July. The chalk hill with the caves is a key feature of the area.
- Vai beach is located in the northeast part of Crete and there is the most famous palm tree forest in Greece. It is a tropical paradise. It is an hour drive from Sitia and it is easily accessible by car. It is very crowded in high season
- Xerokambos beach is for those who love peace and quit. Located in the southeast part of Sitia Province, it can easily be reached by car. You can explore the the long sandy beach and the turquoise coloured waters. The view of the mountains on your way there is breathtaking. There are a few taverns and room to let if you wish to stay there.